Individual
Go to List of Family Names Go to List of People < Previous Next >
DE LASCELLES Roger
Birth: ABT 1232 Maunby, Thirsk, Yorkshire, England
Death: ABT 1300 Kirby Knowle, Thirsk, Yorkshire, England
Notes
our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jweber&id=I22816
Escrick, Yorkshire East Riding:
In 1086 there were two estates at Escrick, each of 4 carucates, one of which
comprised 'Chetelstorp'. Both were soke of the manor of Clifton (Yorks. N.R.) and
belonged to Count Alan of Brittany; before the Conquest they had belonged to Morcar.
About 1100 Count Stephen gave 'Chetelstorp' and 2 carucates in Escrick to St. Mary's
abbey, York, and the other 2 carucates also passed to the abbey. The first 6
carucates were granted by St. Mary's to Picot de Lascelles between 1145 and 1161,
and the other 2 to Roger de Lascelles between 1197 and 1219. The Lascelles family,
which had previously been the abbey's tenant at Escrick, thenceforth held the estate
as part of the honor of Richmond and the liberty of St. Mary's.
After the death of Roger de Lascelles c. 1300 the manor of ESCRICK was held in
dower by his widow Isabel as the inheritance of his four daughters, Joan de
Colewenne or Curwenne, Avice le Constable, Maud Tilliol, and Tiffany, widow of Ralph
FitzRanulph. Isabel died in 1323. Tiffany's son Ralph, sometimes known as Ralph de
Lascelles, was then heir to her share. Joan had granted the reversion of her part to
Simon Ward and he to Roger Dammory, a rebel, and so it was seized by the Crown in
1323. After Isabel's death the manor was divided between the Crown, Avice, Maud,
and Ralph. It was probably the last three shares which were consolidated in the hands
of Ralph de Lascelles. He apparently had them by 1344, and in 1362 he was
described as lord of three-quarters of Escrick. The Lascelles family retained the estate
until the death of Roger Lascelles, whose daughter and heir Margaret (d. 1499)
married James Pickering. Margaret's grandson Christopher Pickering was succeeded in
the early 16th century by his daughter Anne, who married Sir Henry Knyvett. The
Knyvetts thenceforth held the manor and in 1607 Sir Thomas Knyvett (d. 1622) was
created Baron Knyvett of Escrick. He was succeeded by his brother Sir Henry
Knyvett, whose daughter and coheir Catherine married as her second husband
Thomas Howard, earl of Suffolk, in or before 1583. Their son Edward was created
Baron Howard of Escrick in 1628. It was he who sold Escrick in 1668 to Sir Henry
Thompson.
From: 'Escrick', A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 3: Ouse and
Derwent wapentake, and part of Harthill wapentake (1976), pp. 17-28. URL:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22998&strquery=escrick york
Date accessed: 12 May 2013.
Parents
DE MAUNBY Thomas (ABT 1200 - BEF 20 Jan 1239)
DE LASCELLES Avice (Avicia) (ABT 1210 - BEF 1261)
Siblings
DE LASCELLES Roger (ABT 1232 - ABT 1300)
Marriage To FITZ THOMAS Elizabeth (Isabel) (ABT 1245 - BEF May 1323)
m.
Notes
Parents
DE GREYSTOKE Thomas Fitz William (ABT 1202 - 1247)
DE VIPONT Christian (ABT 1203 - )
Children by FITZ THOMAS Elizabeth (Isabel) ABT 1245 - BEF May 1323
DE LASCELLES Theophania (Tiffany) (ABT 1272 - )
Produced by Fzip 1.7 6/20/2017